7 week Course on openlearning.com
Starts: 13 Mar 2017 at 09:00 am
Convenor: Christopher Watkin
This course will help you see what Derrida and Foucault are really saying, and show you how you can bring their thought into conversation with the Bible. You will get an accessible introduction to the thought of two of the most influential French philosophers of recent decades, and you will learn methods for fostering meaningful engagement between philosophical ideas and biblical doctrine.
What will you gain from this course?
· An introductory overview to the work of two of the most important and influential postmodern thinkers of the twentieth century, whose ideas help shape our thinking today, including diagrams and explanations of key terms and quotations.
· A way of thinking about the bible that helps you bring it into conversation with philosophical ideas in an authentic and rigorous way.
· Weekly online discussion about the ideas and texts you are studying with an international community of fellow students who share your interest in the bible and postmodernism. This means that you get to learn from your fellow students, not just from the lecturer and tutor. You can comment, like, share documents, videos and images, and just chat or DM with people who share your interests.
· Through the online discussions you will gain a network of people interested in the same areas you are: friends, collaborators, mentors and mentees that you can keep in touch with once the course has finished.
· Expert help and support from a qualified tutor who will interact with your online discussions and help you with your questions.
· Helpful weekly multiple choice quizzes that enable you to track your learning.
· Weekly video lectures that include diagrams and real-time mark-up of texts.
· Recommended primary and secondary readings that allow you to explore Derrida, Foucault and the Bible for yourself.
· The option to complete a final assignment on a theme of your choice from the course, to share with your fellow students and to receive feedback from a qualified tutor. You can complete your assignment your way: a poster, a song, a poem, a video, a flash animation or a good old-fashioned essay.
Who is the course for?
Anyone interested in learning about two of the most important postmodern philosophers and how to bring their thought into conversation with the Bible.